Friday, June 14, 2013

Monogram Patchwork Pillow Tutorial


I received the most beautiful bundle of fabric last week from Clothworks and with all of the fat quarters that were in it, I was able to make 2 pillows.




Don't you love those colors?!


Here is the fabulous bundle I received:




I love the way all the fabrics coordinate so beautifully and wanted to make something that incorporated all of them together.

That's when my daughter-in-law, Jennifer, suggested (hinted) that since the colors match her living room perfectly, I could make pillows with a "W" on them.

Jennifer is married to our son, Josh, and they have Jalynn, Jordyn, and Jace. 

Perfect, 2 pillows using all the fabric with a "J" on one and a "W" on the other!




I had 2 pillow forms that were 12" x 16" so all the dimensions in this tutorial fit that size of pillow.




For the front I cut six 5" squares of 2 different fabrics and sewed them together. Be sure to iron your seams open afterwards.




You could leave the front in just the patchwork, but we wanted them monogrammed, so I cut out and appliqued my letters on each front.




I did a tutorial on how I applique Here.




For the back of the pillow, cut 2 pieces of fabric 17" x 10 1/2" and hem one long side on each piece.




With right sides together, sew one of the back pieces to the front on the 3 outside edges.
Clip corners.




Then sew your other back piece over the first piece and to the front and sew those 3 outside edges.




You can now turn everything right side out through the overlapped pieces in the back.




And that's where you'll insert your pillow form.




End result: 2 perfectly coordinated pillows!




This is my favorite way to make pillow covers because they can be taken off and washed when needed.

You can visit Clothworks blog Here for all kinds of fabulous ideas for their fabrics.

Happy Friday!

Pin It

Here are the link parties that I join each week.

11 comments:

Schulz Family said...

visiting from take a look tuesday. I love these. Having the letter on them is great

Paula Parrish said...

I agree this fabric is so Pretty. Your son and daughter in law will truly treasure your handmade pillows. I love the monogramming, it makes it so personal. ;o)

Jill said...

Beautiful pillows Terri! Such pretty fabric.
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Selenarte Decoupage said...

Hello. I love patchwork and its originality and because I can't sewn I admire your work so much. The fabrics are so great chosen.

Best wishes
Selenarte

Cathy C said...

I love your pillows! Thanks for the tutorial too. Saw your post over @ Someday Crafts:)

Sarah Simpson said...

Those are so pretty! I've made some similar patchwork pillows. I love them, they add such color to a room! Thanks for sharing these!

Navy Wifey Peters said...

Gorgeous pillows! I love the brown fabric with the large flowers.

Artsy VaVa said...

You did a great job on the pillows!

Craftysiany said...

These are lovely! Such a unique gift x
buttonsandpaint.blogspot.co.uk

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Those are so cute! I'd love to make a pair for my daughter and her boyfriend as an apartment warming gift!

Sarah L. said...

I love the patterns!

I found your website from Southern Lovely. I just started a new blog and I would love for you to follow me, too! http://naptimenothings.blogspot.com/

Looking forward to more posts!
Sarah@
Naptime Nothings